We’re moving right along through the week, here are some stories we found interesting in the newsroom
1. NCAA soccer College Cup: Maryland defeats Akron (NCAA)
Maryland has won the NCAA Division I Men’s Soccer College Cup for the fourth time by defeating Akron 1-0 in the College Cup Final.
“Amar Sejdic’s goal on a 57th minute penalty kick was the difference of the defensive battle. Both goalies played valiantly as Akron’s Ben Lundt made six of seven saves on shots on goal while Maryland’s Dayne St. Clair had a clean sheet with two saves.”
Both teams were deserving of their spot in the finals. In the Semifinals, Akron won big against Michigan State with a final score of 5-1. Maryland blanked Indiana in their semifinal match and their game finished 2-0.
“Maryland also won titles in 2005, 2008 and was a co-title winner with Michigan State in 1968.”
We would like to congratulate Maryland on their victory and we cannot wait until the next NCAA College Cup.
What was your favorite part of the NCAA College Cup?
2. Erin Cuthbert nutmegs Brighton defender (FA Women’s Super League)
Who doesn’t enjoy a good nutmeg during the holiday season. Watch as Erin Cuthbert straddles the sideline and gets passed her defender with a fantastic nutmeg.
Stop it, @erincuthbert_!
— The FA Women's Super League (@FAWSL) December 9, 2018
3. Best Soccer Dad Gifts (RYHS)
Soccer Dads are a proud bunch. They deserve some love around holiday times and here are a few ideas on what you should get them:
- Apparel. Get some sweaters or hoodies that don the moniker “Soccer Dad.” A great one is “I’m not yelling. This is just my soccer dad voice.”
- Coffee mugs. We are a fan of “Best Soccer Dad Ever.”
- Game day accessories. Make sure that soccer dad you know is comfortable while watching the games. Foldable seats with the umbrella built in are life savers. Don’t forget the coolers and bags as well.
- Hot weather gear. The sidelines can be a sweltering place, a portable fan could come in handy.
- Cold weather gear. As hot as a sideline can get, they can get just as cold. Make sure dad is toasty and warm with some hand warmers, hats, and gloves.
Do you have any ideas for great soccer dad gifts? Make sure to let us know.